[10gigs] 10GHz aircraft scatter

Bill Davis cqbilld at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 09:05:19 CST 2017

  Good morning fellows and gals. Gary and I were running our usual 10GHz, 1296, 902 sked this morning and enjoyed a few moments of excellent aircraft scatter on 10GHz. Two aircraft flying in opposite directions over Lake Mille Lacs.  AAL2557 a B738 at 36,000ft and CJT580 B762 at 31,000ft. They were flying just off right angle to our path. We have real trouble finding much that is in and parallel to the path, EVER. At first I thought maybe the entire contact was by ACS, but we checked the path again 15min later with no aircraft and found "good" winter condition signals 12db above the noise floor. Pretty "COOL" since the temp in EN37ed was -2 (6:30am -12) and EN34lx was at 16deg. At best the enhancement was 10db -- max sig 22db.
  Merry Christmas all
73  Bill  K0AWU