[10gigs] Power loss thru T/R relay

Jon Platt w0zq at aol.com
Thu Feb 13 15:49:41 CST 2020

Most of you are familiar with my portable 10 GHz system .... a DB6NT transverter with a DK2FD 6.2 watt amp on a 65cm dish.  Looking back through my documents I see the 6.2 watt amplifier was purchased in early 2004, and although I can't find my original DB6NT information, I think that it was purchased a full year prior to that, 2003 or 2002.   In any case, since 2004, my system has been unchanged, aka 16 years or so.   Over those 16 years I estimate maybe 7,000 to 10,000 Q's, most during the 10 GHz contest but also including RS Q's, June & September VHF, Aug UHF, and SBMS.
During last falls 10 GHz contest some commented that my signal wasn't as strong as usual compared to other stations .... not terrible but perhaps noticeably down.  I finally got to looking into things and discovered that there is about a 4 dB loss going through the transmit side of the original SMA T/R relay so my 6 watts was maybe around 2 watts.  Again, not terrible but noticeable.   Receive seems OK, its the transmit side.   So tomorrow I will replace that SMA T/R relay and see where we stand.
I suppose it pays to actually check things out every once in a while, not every 16 years.
73, JonW0ZQ